I first tried Macaroni Pie from a street food market in Barbados many moons ago. I can still remember how incredible it tasted, and how unlike any other ‘Mac and cheese’ I’d had before. Given the chance of actually getting to Barbados anytime soon is slim, why not try our family recipe (Granny Rodriguez) for a taste of the Caribbean. You can make this vegetarian soon-to-be family favourite in one dish overproof dish or in a muffin tray for individual portions. Serve with smoked mackerel and broad beans, and a dash of hot sauce or Tabasco for the adults.
Makes 12 muffins. Suitable from 6 months+
- 480g cooked macaroni (about 250g dried)
- 1 large free range egg
- 300mls organic whole milk
- Black pepper
- 200g Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- Unsalted butter (for greasing)
- Firstly grease your dish or muffin tray, and preheat your oven to 180C.
- Mix half of the grated cheese with the cooked macaroni in a bowl.
- Crack the egg in to a jug and whisk. Then add all of the milk, and a few cracks of black pepper.
- Spoon the macaroni into the dish/ muffin tray and press it in so it’s fairly compact.
- Pour the milk/egg mixture in to your dish/muffin tray. It should just be visible underneath the top layer of macaroni.
- Add the remaining grated cheese on top and bake in the oven for 30-40mins.
- Leave to cool slightly (5 minutes) before cutting or removing from muffin trays to help it keep it’s shape.
- These also freeze well, just pop them in a zip lock bag on the day you’ve made them.