A delicious summer soup you can serve hot or chilled, depending on how British a summer we're having. Packed with nutritious veg, this tasty recipe is a great one to try after the first few weeks of single veg led baby weaning without overwhelming your little ones taste buds, whilst still introducing them to bitter vegetables.
Soup is brilliant to work on self feeding, and you can give fingers of bread and encourage them to dip it in if they're not keen on using a spoon. This courgette, spinach and potato soup is so easy to make and feeds the whole family. Double win! For added taste and bonus sensory experience, marble in some full fat greek yoghurt when you serve.
Disclaimer: May cause (a lot of) mess…you MIGHT want to purchase a placemat before unleashing your little one on this recipe.
- 1 small white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 courgettes
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- 1 litre low salt veg stock
- 25g unsalted butter (use 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to make vegan)
- Blitz your onion, garlic & thyme leaves in a food processor & fry in unsalted butter or oil for 2 mins.
- Thinly slice your potatoes & courgettes. This helps them to cook quicker.
- Add potatoes to your pan and stir for 3 mins.
- Add your stock and simmer for 5 mins.
- Add courgettes to the pan and simmer for 5 mins
- Stir in spinach & blitz with a hand blender & serve.
- Or leave to cool, & blend in a food processor.
Top Tip: Invest in some re-usable pouches that you can pop your own purees/smoothies/soup in and then rinse out and re-use for on-the-go meals.