Beef Chilli Quesadillas
A low maintenance and flavour filled family meal that lets the blender and the hob do the hard work. Suitable for 6 months+.
Top tip: This Beef Chilli recipe is incredibly versatile. Make half into quesadillas and use the other half to make enchiladas, serve it on it's own served with rice or spread on puff pastry to make pin wheels.
Beef Chilli Ingredients
- 500g organic beef mince
- Small bunch of coriander
- Half a yellow pepper
- 2 carrots (peeled)
- Half a white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin of Kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 2 avocados
- 100g grated cheddar
- 12 tortilla wraps
- Roughly chop the onion, carrot, pepper, and garlic and add to a blender.
- Chop 1cm off the stalks of the bunch of coriander and discard, then finely slice a couple of centimeters of the stalks and add to the blender. Blitz until all the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a large pan over a medium heat and add the blended veg to it. Cook for about 4 mins until it’s nice and soft.
- Add the beef mince and cook until the meat is no longer pink - about 3 mins. Add the spices cumin, and drained kidney beans to the pan and stir for two mins.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, and then fill half of the tin with water and add that to the pan too.
- Leave to simmer on a low heat until most of the liquid is reduced. It should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Mix in the cheese.
- Add a tortilla to a frying pan, and spoon the mixture on top leaving around 2cm around the edge. Flatten it down to around 1cm depth and place another tortilla on top and press down. For younger babies make sure you squish the beans a bit first.
- Cook for 2 mins on each side on a medium heat and cut in to strips or triangles to serve with your mashed avocado.
Weaning Suggestion: Red meat, whilst an excellent source of protein can be heavy on little tummies so it's better to serve this at lunch time and make the last meal of the day white meat/fish or vegetarian.